PenUltimate Press does accept unsolicited manuscripts.
What We Publish
Penultimate Press publishes literary fiction, nonfiction and poetry for adult readers.
Works of fiction include novels, novellas, and full-length short story collections. We do not publish genre fiction, that is, romance, science fiction, mysteries, crime or westerns.
Works of nonfiction include books that focus on contemporary social or cultural issues; minority issues; history or biography; or women's issues.
If you would like for us to consider a book you have written in one of the aforementioned areas, please adhere to the following submission guidelines:
- Format your manuscript in Word; use Times (font size 12); double-space the manuscript and number the pages.
- Attach a cover page with the title of the manuscript, your name, credentials and affiliations (if any), and your contact information: postal address, phone number, fax (if any) and e-mail address.
- Include a brief cover letter that introduces your manuscript and describes its marketability. Include a brief biographical paragraph in the letter
- Manuscripts will not be returned. Query letters with sample chapters or short stories are accepted.
We accept poetry submissions twice a year, in April and October. If you would like for us to consider your work, please send a query letter and include:
- A brief introduction of your manuscript and a description of its marketability;
- A brief paragraph stating relevant biographical information;
- Ten to fifteen pages of poetry as samples from your manuscript.
PenUltimate Press, Inc.
520 N. Skinker Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63130-4836
Send it as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please allow two to three months for a response to sample submissions. Full-length manuscripts take longer to review; we do our best to respond to them within four to six months.